One of Old Mutual’s premiere Financial Education campaigns targeted at the youth are back for another round of excitement, hype and life changing impact. #OMGWAP is designed to give South African youth access to Financial Education principles that can help them tackle some of today’s biggest challenges. “Gwap” is youth slang for money.
The programme uses Hip Hop and other music genres – today’s universal youth language – to deliver powerful messages around the importance of respect for money and financial planning, whilst busting the money myths common amongst youth today.
Themed “Young Money”, this year’s #OMGWAP is about connecting with youth by creating a platform for them to share their money experiences and stories through hip hop and music, and then giving them the financial principles to help them become their exceptional best and achieve their lifetime goals. Old Mutual believes in the power of financial education to help address structural issues facing ordinary South African’s such as poverty, inequality and access.
How #OMGWAP works
The #OMGWAP Financial Education campaign was launched in 2016 and is run as an annual competition calling on budding Hip Hop heads and musos to get creative about telling their money story to empower their peers.
Participants can enter the competition by:
- Recording a short video of their most interesting or extreme money experience. This can take the form of rap, song, poetry or any other creative expression.
- Uploading their video onto one of Old Mutual’s “On The Money” social media platforms, either on , or using the hashtag #OMGWAP
- Participant entries will be judged by a panel made up of industry experts led by LTido as well as a team from Old Mutual.
- The judges are looking for the most authentic and creative expression of entrants’ experience with money, whether positive or negative and how this experience impacted their lives including money tips their peers should be mindful of.
Eye on the Prize!
Participants in this round of the #OMGWAP competition stand to win fantastic prizes to the value of more than R60 000 including:
- A music booster pack including a laptop, camera and Shure microphone;
- A demo recording session at Old Mutual’s newly launched state-of-the-art AMPD Studios in Newtown Johannesburg
- The opportunity to perform alongside award winning artists Sho Madjozi, Prince KayBee, Kwesta, and more at a live show in Johannesburg
- Expert advice from South Africa’s hottest talent and financial education mentorship from Old Mutual’s Head of Financial Education to kick start your career.
- Access to an Old Mutual AMPD Studios’ Master class as well as a special #OMGWAP Boot Camp
Be sure to follow the conversation on social media using #OMGWAP